Jonathan Majors says he was ‘shocked’ by assault conviction | ET REALITY

[ad_1]

Jonathan Majors, a rising Hollywood star whose career took a turn when he was found guilty last month of assault and harassment for attacking his girlfriend, said in an interview broadcast Monday that he was “absolutely shocked” by the verdict.

In the interview, parts of which aired on ABC’s “Good Morning America,” Majors, 34, said the episode had been “very difficult” and “confusing in many ways.”

“I’m standing there and the verdict comes. I say, ‘How is that possible based on the evidence, the prosecution’s evidence, much less our evidence?’ How is that possible?’” she told ABC News’ Linsey Davis.

A six-person jury in Manhattan convicted Mr. Majors last month of misdemeanor assault and harassment for an altercation with Grace Jabbari, who was his girlfriend at the time, while they were traveling in a rented van in March.

Shortly after the verdict was announced, Marvel Studios parted ways with the actor, clouding the prospects of his once-promising acting career. Marvel Studios had previously intended to build several films around the character Majors played in “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania.” (Both Marvel and ABC, which conducted the interview, are owned by Disney.)

Mr. Majors’ sentencing is scheduled for February 6.

During a whirlwind two-week proceedings, the courtroom heard Ms Jabbari describe the altercation that left her ear bloodied and a finger fractured. She said Mr. Majors had received a flirtatious text message from another woman and that she had snatched his phone from her hand. First, she said, he tried to push his fingers away from her; then she twisted his hand and her arm.

“Next,” he said, “I felt like I had been hit very hard on the head.”

Finally, he said, Majors asked the driver to stop the vehicle. The video seen by jurors showed Mr. Majors jumping, followed by Ms. Jabbari. He turned around, picked her up, and placed her back in the car, appearing to push her inside of her when she tried to get out of her.

Mr. Majors did not testify during the trial. But in the interview broadcast on Monday, he continued to question Ms Jabbari’s account of the altercation and said he did not know how she suffered the cut behind her ear and a broken finger.

“I wish I knew,” he said.

In a statement, Brittany Henderson, Jabbari’s attorney, said Majors “continues to take no responsibility for his actions.”

“His denigration of our jury system is no different from the above-the-law attitude he has maintained throughout this legal process,” Ms. Henderson said in the statement. “The timing of these new statements demonstrates a clear lack of remorse for the actions for which he was found guilty and should make the sentencing decision much easier for the Court.”

Majors first came to attention in 2019 with the independent film “The Last Black Man in San Francisco” and quickly expanded into blockbuster films, with acclaimed performances in “Creed III” and “Quantumania.” He also starred in “Magazine Dreams,” about a troubled aspiring bodybuilder, a film acquired by Searchlight Pictures, a Disney subsidiary. But the film, originally scheduled for release this fall, was removed from the studio’s schedule last year amid the actor’s legal troubles.

When asked if he thinks he will work in Hollywood again, Majors said, “Hell yeah, I do. I pray that it will be so,” in the interview. “But it’s God’s plan and God’s timing.”

Leave a Comment